This morning as the birds came in to feed from the feeder outside the picture window, a beautiful goldfinch came in to eat. I noticed him as I was picking up the livingroom a little. I alerted my grandkids that he was there and cautioned them not to rush the window as this would scare him away. They slowly made their way over to the window as I explained what kind of bird he was. My soon to be 6 yr old grandson was taking quite an interest in this little bird and asked me who made him, who made his belly so round and fat. I, without thinking, told him God made him like that. He immediately answered with, "Who is God?" I was taken back, a little shocked and alarmed that he did not know who God was, me myself being raised with the Lord in my life since the day I was born, and my own girls also. But before I could answer, he was distracted and was off and running with his sisters and as I was straightening the cover on the couch, I thought to myself, how do you explain to a soon to be 6 yr old who God is? I drew a total blank on this, I mean, the Lord is everywhere and if he has been in your life since the day you were born, then by the age 6 you know who God is. But a 6 yr old not knowing and just finding out about God? Where do you start? How do you start? My mind started going in circles on who I could talk to about this, who I could get to talk to my grandson, and then I realized that there is no one but me. After the passing of both my parents, I came to realize and understand that the Lord was a big part of their life, they being believers, in the old fashion way, the Ten Commandements and the works. I too believe in the old fashion ways, but have adjusted to the standards of the modern day. Not saying I agree with it, but saying that the Lord knows your heart and where you stand and only He can cast judgement. And again I thought about my grandson and accepted the fact that I will be playing a big part in his life and that will include him getting to know who God is. I have accepted this challenge and believe I will enjoy very much teaching and showing him that the Lord is watching over him and his sisters and that He is a big part of his life too. I will be passing on to my grandchildren what I have learned, known and experienced since I was a child. And it will be a pleasure to help him say his first prayer..........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank goodness he has you for a grandma. We were shocked this weekend also to find out that Scott (Cindy's boy) doesn't even believe in God. Mike and I have taken this as a challenge that the Lord has given us and he learned abit about what we understand and I think is opened and willing to go this path with us. We'll keep you all in our prayers.
ReplyDelete